DISCLAIMER: This method is best completed by an IT Team Member or Managed Service Provider.
To have the Practice Protect browser extension deployed across your business from your Active Directory Server using Group Policy, complete the below steps for each browser.
- Download the Practice Protect Online Internet Explorer extension from here 64 Bit and/or 32 Bit.
- Store this file in a location where the machines can access it without user authentication. For the purpose of this guide, we’ll be storing it in NETLOGON.
- As this will be a Computer Policy, so create a new GPO on your top level Computer OU. Right Click on that OU and Create a new GPO, and link it there.
- Select the Settings Tab, and right click in the settings pane, and select “Edit..”
- Navigate to Computer Configuration > Policies > Software Settings > Software Installation, and right click in the settings window, and select New > Package.
- Navigate to the path of the installer (In this case, \\domain.local\NETLOGON\) and select the MSI.
- Choose “Assigned”, and then press “OK”.
- You will now see the application listed with the status “Assigned”. On a users machine, run “GPUPDATE /FORCE” and reboot as required.
It’s important to note that this is a COMPUTER POLICY, thus must be linked to a COMPUTER OU.
PREREQUISITES: Google Chrome installed on your target workstations, & Google Chrome ADMX files installed in your Central Store. To learn how to complete this, click here.
- Open Group Policy and target your top level User OU. Right Click, and create a new policy, and link it there.
- Name the policy something easy to identify, and press OK.
- Next, under the Settings tab, right click in the window and select “Edit…”
- Navigate to User Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > Google > Google Chrome > Extensions, and locate “Configure the list of force-installed extensions”, right click, and Edit.
- Enable the policy, and click “Show…”
- In the first Value, enter “jifcoadedkediabkmjbflemiblmnbjfk;https://clients2.google.com/service/update2/crx”, and click Okay.
- Press Okay again on the previous window.
- The policy state will now change to “Enabled”. Once done, you are finished.
It’s important to note that this is a USER POLICY, thus must be linked to a USER OU.